What’s in this Garum of the Loire ?
A tasty and unusual sauce
Garum is a sauce made from fermented wild fish and salt. Aged for one year in vats, fish is dissolved in salt and produces a refined liquid which is then strained to obtain this strongly flavoured garum sauce. This Garum of the Loire is produce in Bréhémont in the Centre-Val-de-Loire region enabling local fishermen and restaurant owners to fully promote their products along with a zero waste approach.
Where to use this Garum of the Loire
Discover our recipe ideas:
• Chicken marinade: add 1 tblspn of Loire garum to your marinade with soya sauce, ginger and sesame oil;
• White butter sauce: add 1 to 2 teaspoons of Loire garum to your white butter sauce;
• Pan-fried vegetables: add 1 tblspn of Loire garum to your vegetables before frying;
• Fish en papillote: add 1 teaspoon of Loire garum to your fish before wrapping up in a papillote;
• Beef carpaccio: cover your carpaccio with Loire garum using a pastry brush;
• Vinaigrette: Click here to find the complete recipe.
What are the flavours of this Garum of the Loire?
This fermented fish sauce obviously tastes of fish but also has a delicious salty taste and develops umami, the 5th taste on your palate.
Discover the other products from Terre Exotique's French Origin range:
The story behind garum
Garum can be considered the cousin of Nuoc-Mâm Vietnamese fish sauce and was invented during the Roman Empire as a by-product of conserving fish. The Romans kept their fish in salt and used the juice that was produced in their daily dishes as seasoning. Like Nuoc-Mâm Vietnamese fish sauce, garum is made from fermented fish and was invented at the same time although there is no real link between the two sauces. One comes from Laos and Cambodia, the other from the Roman Empire.
|VN Energie pour 100 g (energy for 100g) : 207 kJ / 48.9 kcal
VN Matière grasse (fat) : 1 g
Dont acide gras saturés (of which saturated fat) : 0.4 g
VN Glucides (carbohydrate) : 0 g
Dont sucres (of which sugars) : 0 g
VN Protéines (protein) : 10.1 g
Vn Sel (salt) : 25 g
|Poisson / Fish
|TRACES EVENTUELLES D'ALLERGÈNES
|céleri, sésame, moutarde, fruits à coques.