MOLE POBLANO SAUCE
Perfect with chicken, turkey, rice, fajitas, chili con carne, etc.
“Mole poblano” sauce is traditionally served in Mexico with poultry, rice and red kidney beans on festive occasions. The mole sauce is made from ground spices, garlic, chilli peppers, roughly cracked cocoa beans or bitter chocolate.
Each Mexican family has its very own recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes | Easy
Ingredients for the Mexican mole
- ½ litre poultry stock,
- 1 soup spoon olive oil,
- 1 finely chopped onion,
- 1 garlic clove,
- A few pinches of fleur de sel,
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin,
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon,
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander,
- 1 teaspoon Espelette chilli pepper,
- 1 soup spoon ground almonds,
- 1 soup spoon cocoa beans roughly cracked with a pestle and mortar.
- Start by making your poultry stock.
- Mix together the almonds, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, Espelette chilli pepper .
- Place the onion, garlic, salt and olive oil in a saucepan and fry over a mild heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spice and almond mix to the saucepan with the garlic and onion mix.
- Add the ½ litre of poultry stock to the saucepan then leave over a gentle heat for about 30 minutes.
- The sauce needs to be smooth, if necessary use a blender.
- Add the cocoa beans then whisk until smooth.
Tip : for those who prefer very spicy sauces, use Cayenne chilli pepper or bird chilli instead of Espelette chilli pepper.