Dark chocolate cake with a gooey Cubeb pepper infused centre
Discover this delicious recipe, a dark chocolate cake with a decadent gooey centre infused with Terre Exotique’s Cubeb pepper, created by Benoît Pasquier the chef of Le Saint-Honoré restaurant in Tours.
Cubeb pepper needs fat content for its flavour to develop fully. The milk in this recipe lets the pepper infuse perfectly, but it is the fat content in the dark chocolate that will unleash the full flavour of the pepper.
For 4 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 6 minutes | Easy
Ingredients for the cake:
- 50g butter
- 100g dark chocolate (55%)
- 2 eggs
- 30g sugar
- 30g flour
Ingredients for the gooey centre:
- 30cl milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 60g sugar
- 30g flour
- 15 Cubeb peppercorns
For the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 250°C.
- In a bowl, mix the two eggs with the sugar, add the flour and mix.
- Use a double-boiler to melt the chocolate and the butter, then add this chocolate mixture to the eggs, flour and sugar.
- Leave to one side and make the gooey centre.
For the gooey centre:
- Grind the Cubeb peppercorns.
- Heat the milk over a low heat. Once warm, add the ground pepper.
- In a bowl, mix together the egg yolks, sugar, flour and milk infused with the Cubeb pepper.
- Put in the freezer for 1 hour.
Use buttered and floured ramekins or 8cm diameter metal cake rings with baking parchment underneath.
Put some cake mixture into each ramekin, then place some of the frozen gooey mixture in the centre of the ramekin.
Bake for 6 minutes.
Tip: the success of this recipe lies in the cooking. You may need to try the recipe a few times to get the exact time right for you. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again, it’s worth it!
FOR THE RECIPE :