Basque slices of bread Terre Exotique style
Preparation guide for Basque slices of bread
2 persons / 30 minutes cooking / Level : easy
- 1 Farmhouse bread
- 5-6 slices of cured ham
- 2 onions
- 4 sweet chili peppers
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoon of Espelette chili pepper
- 2 red sweet peppers
- 1 green sweet pepper
- 1 pinch of wild herbs
- 3 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of fleur de sel with grilled spices
- Salt and pepper
Suggestion: To pepper this recipe we used Cubebe pepper, from Indonesia, lightly spicy and with clove notes … ideal for this typical dish from Basque country !
Preparation for Basque slices of bread :
1. Peel the garlic and onions. Take off sweet pepper and chili seeds. Cut the vegetables in big pieces.
2. In a pan, add on tablespoon of olive oil and the anions. Add the red and green sweet chili peppers. Cook them for almost 15 minutes.
3. Add sliced tomatoes and some sugar to caramelize. Add garlic and wild herbs to perfume this piperade. Mix slowly and cover. Leave it for cooking around 15 minutes.
4. Add Espelette chili pepper, salt and pepper.
5. Leave the piperade 10 minutes and cut the farmhouse bread in big slices.
6. To serve the dish : spread the piperade on the slices of bread and delicately put a slice of Basque cured ham a some rocket. Basque slices of bread are ideal for a healthy lunch or your Sunday brunch. If you are vegetarian you can replace ham with goat cheese.